CHEW ON THIS!
10 Gracious Living Happy Eating Tips” by Grace Van Berkum, R.H.N. just out in a Special Edition of Sweat Equity Magazine 2015. Always an honour to be a part of the Sweat Equity Team!“
Below are some mindful nutrition, happy eating tips that are often overlooked when people focus too much on numbers. Healthy living and eating is not just about what you put into your mouth. True health starts with your mind and the way you approach food and eating.
1. Eat life giving, prana-filled foods. You are a living person so eat foods that are alive to feel more alive. Eat raw foods at every single meal, even if you are eating cooked foods. Eat the raw foods first for the high water content, high fiber content, and the enzymes that will help digest the food.
2. Know all of your ingredients. Eat foods that give you life. Don’t eat foods that drain you of energy and overload your organs. That means stay away from processed foods and chemicals as much as possible. If you can’t pronounce an ingredient, or don’t know what it is, don’t put it in your body! (And that goes for what you put on your skin, too! Your skin absorbs your creams and beauty care products and then has to filter it through the body like food).
3. Eat small amounts. One of the major keys for being at optimal weight and have optimal energy is to eat small amounts. Even if you’re eating something that is not entirely healthy, just eat a small amount. All is not wasted… Do not binge. Do not overeat.
4. Eat with love. Bless your food and feel grateful for the nourishment and life that it is giving you. This sets up your parasympathetic nervous system for efficient digestion. Efficient digestion means optimal metabolism and elimination of toxins.
5. Chew your food thoroughly. Digestion starts in the mouth. Remember it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you’ve had enough. Put your utensils down between bites. Make eating a meditation. Slow down and taste each bite.
6. Listen to your body. Your body will tell you when you’ve had enough food. Listen. Your body will tell you if a food is good for you or not. Listen. Your body is constantly giving you feedback from food, from life, from relationships. Tune in…pay attention!
7. Do the best you can in any given moment. If you eat something that doesn’t agree with you, or makes you feel heavy, make sure to eat lighter, alkalizing foods at your next meal. All is not lost….every meal, every situation is an opportunity to try again! Don’t give up on yourself…ever.
8. Sip on warm water throughout the day. The water should at least be room temperature, or warm. This helps with enzyme release which helps with digestion. Cold water will not hydrate you efficiently and will slow down your metabolism and detoxification. For optimal digestion, do not drink water with your meals. Before and an hour after meals are best times to hydrate. Fresh lemon water first thing in the morning eases constipation, initiates liver detox, and helps to energize and alkalize the body.
9. Experiment with food. Have fun! Healthy eating does not mean boredom! If that’s how you feel then you are not exploring your healthy options. Be open minded and try new things. This approach will take you down some fun, adventurous, and delicious roads! And it’s amazing how many cool people you will meet on your journey to healthy living and healthy eating who have similar mindsets as you. The way you eat really does change all aspects of who you are, not just on the inside and outside, but also the people you will meet!
10. Surround yourself with positive people. It’s much easier to stay on track with a healthy lifestyle when you are energetically influenced by people who are inspiring and supportive.
Join myself & Superfood Guru Ronnie Landis in stunning NICARAGUA NOV 28-DEC 5, 2015: