Currently in Florida where I did a plant-based nutrition class at MD Anderson Cancer Centre. Always so nice to reconnect with past students/new students & clients who are eager to change their lives and kick cancer to the curb. YEAHHH! also so nice to see to see the enthusiastic staff at the cancer centre and have so many of the nurses & doctors attend my workshops.
this month’s edition of Gracious Living Top Picks comes from Florida, U.S.A.
(check out last edition of Gracious Living top picks from the Bahamas: HERE.)
1. WILD FLOWER SOAPS. -Orlando, Florida. These chemical-free soaps feel AMAZING on your skin and face. Absolutely in love with them! Handmade, healing, natural soaps using finest quality plant based butters, oils and essential oils. Inspired by the yogic principle of Ahimsa (non-Harming), tested and requested by Yogis. All products are animal free and friendly. Right now I am using “tingle balm” made with mango butter and coconut oil, but they also have cherry blossom, jasmine, lemongrass, coffee, cinnamon leaf, rosemary, frankincense, myrrh, basil, patchouli, and peppermint. Divine! Some special soaps have little sparkles in them so they leave a subtle shimmer on your skin (brings me back to my raving days, lol). You can find Wild Flower Soaps on facebook to place your orders. I guarantee you will never go back to regular soap again! They are that special.
2. RAW, ORGANIC TEMPEH. -Gainsville, Florida. I had the pleasure of meeting the creator of this high protein, vegan, easy to digest wholefood made from soybeans. (FYI, I am not a promoter of PROCESSED SOY..I rarely eat it and don’t recommend it! Tempeh is different and filled with beneficial microflora. Read more on soy HERE.) This tempeh is a wholefood that is cultured and fermented making it easy to digest, high in protein and B vitamins, and great substitute for meat. The creator, Jose, makes the tempeh himself and also a raw, organic, vegan tempeh power himself from his farm and shop. The powder has virtually no taste and is fantastic in smoothies, sauces, salad dressings, and healthy pie crusts and desserts. (I tried in all of these and even my friend’s picky kids loved it and had no idea it was in their smoothies!) A great way to increase good bacteria in the body since it is fermented as we all need to increase our intake of fermented foods ( I should do a blog post on this one), and a great way for vegetarians and vegans to increase protein levels. The raw tempeh powder is new and not on his site but you can order it HERE. Stay tuned for a a black bean tempeh in the works and coming out soon!
3. RAW ELEMENTS USA NATURAL SUNSCREEN. -Miami, Florida. Many of you know that I am an ambassador for this awesome chemical-free sunscreen. (Read more HERE on why you should avoid chemicals on your skin for optimal health and beautiful skin.) I am so thrilled that they have JUST come out with their same sunscreen in SKIN TONE colour that goes on smooth & sleek and you can’t tell it’s on! I love the ECO-TINT 30+ Stick as it fits in your pocket and is waterproof so great for swimming, surfing, running, yoga-ing, or anything outdoors. Totally recommend this one….click HERE.
4. INFINITE MASSAGE AND WELLNESS. -Orlando, Florida. Clean, cute spa with excellent massages (and prices) and super friendly, energetic staff. I enjoyed a much needed 90 minute deep tissue massage and their skin team offers expert advice and services. Remember that self care and relaxation time is just as important as good food and exercise! Have a peek at their services HERE.
5. DANDYBLEND.…herbal coffee substitute. So this is not from Florida but it is my new favourite thing in smoothies as my latest retreat
participants know….I was using it in many of my daily, detoxifying Gracious Living smoothies in my recent Central American retreats (see Gracious Living Chocolate Espresso Smoothie recipe HERE.) Dandy Blend is a delicious herbal beverage powder with the taste, body, and texture of coffee, and the ingredients – dandelion, chicory and beet roots, barley and rye grains- are all respected as health-promoting, liver cleansing foods. It is gluten-free (they make it in a way that seperates the gluten), caffeine-free, and sugar-free, contains 50 trace minerals in each cup, AND it is the only instant coffee alternative in the United States that contains dandelion root. Also contains no GMO’s, and is bitterness and acid-free. Amazing on it’s own as a beverage, in smoothies, or in healthy desserts like puddings, chocolate truffles, and raw, vegan pies. Check out yummy DandyBlend HERE.
6. CRAZY, SEXY DIET by KRIS CARR. (#1 Amazon Best Seller, NY Times Best Seller) This book has been out for awhile but it is STILL my top recommended nutrition read for not only my cancer clients, but ANYONE looking to understand nutrition better and make smart food choices to live your best life possible. THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANY HUMAN BEING. Kris Carr was diagnosed with a very rare and incurable stage 4 cancer and has a very similar story to my fathers cancer fighting story (see HERE). Her style of writing is excellent, funny, refreshing, concise, informative, and much needed. Before I see any nutrition client, no matter where they live in the world, I always tell them to read this first. HANDS DOWN, IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND THE WAY YOU LOOK AT FOOD. Since this book has come out, she has written several others, and once you read one you will be a fan of everything Kris Carr! Crazy Sexy Diet will blow your mind.
7. My Florida family. My Florida list of things I love would not be complete without mentioning my Florida family that always takes care of me. Thank you to my sweet friends: V, W, H, J, & Molly & Franksie, the best doggies ever. xoxo