REFINED SUGAR IS KILLING US!
WE NEED A FOOD REVOLUTION.
According to new research studies, refined sugar is 8 TIMES more addictive than cocaine. Most of us are addicted to sugar and don’t know it. According to Mark Hyman, MD (who I highly recommend that you all follow and read his new book: THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION), sugar is the new nicotine. He reveals that the secret solution to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes (347 million people worldwide have diabetes), but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, AND CANCER, is balanced insulin levels.
40 Evil Facts About Refined Sugar
- Sugar can suppress the immune system.
- Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
- Sugar produces a rise in triglycerides, a leading cause of heart disease.
- Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection.
- Sugar can cause kidney damage.
- Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins (good cholesterol).
- Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, intestines, prostate and rectum.
- Sugar consumption is the top cause of type II diabetes, as it increases levels of glucose and insulin.
- Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
- Sugar weakens eyesight and can cause cataracts.
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels).
- Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
- Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
- Sugar consumption can cause aging.
- Sugar consumption is the top cause of tooth decay.
- Sugar use cause overeating and therefore contributes to obesity.
- High intake increases risk of Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Sugar can cause changes associated with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
- Sugar can cause arthritis.
- Sugar can cause asthma.
- Sugar can cause yeast infections.
- Sugar can cause gallstones to form.
- Sugar can cause appendicitis.
- Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.
- Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
- Sugar can cause varicose veins.
- Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
- Sugar can cause periodontal disease and contributes to saliva acidity.
- Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.
- Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
- Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
- Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
- Sugar can cause migraine headaches.
- Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
- Sugar causes food allergies.
- Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
- Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
- Sugar can cause emphysema.
- Sugar can promote an elevation of low density proteins (LDL).
Sugar is poison and people MUST start thinking about it this way. There is nothing beneficial about sugar. It simply ages you at a very fast rate as it depletes you of vitamins & minerals. It makes the body acidic and increases inflammation. CHRONIC INFLAMMATION LEADS TO DISEASE.
Here are some Gracious Living picks from worst to the top 4 I would consider using:
- Artificial sweeteners, including aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup
- White & brown refined sugar
- Agave nectar (watch the video below for more interesting info)
- Raw cane sugar
- Coconut palm sugar
- Lucuma powder
- Stevia (natural herb sweetener. Please read the labels! Artificial sweetener companies are now selling their products with stevia added to it, and marketing them as stevia. Don’t be fooled!#4: Mesquite Powder
- Dates, raisins, prunes, apricots, or fresh fruit used in juices or smoothies
- Maple syrup (Grade B maple syrup is less processed than Grade A, making it more nutrient-dense).
- Mesquite Powder
**Even though these are better sweeteners for you, ALWAYS use in moderation for optimal health.**
I was once a full blown sugar addict. I used to drink corn syrup from the bottle and eat bowls of brown sugar as a teenager. Sugar was my drug that I loved so much. In my 20’s, I used to eat 1-2 pounds of ju-jubes, gummie bears, and licorice in one sitting. Yikes. Double yikes! I am shuddering at the memories of this right now as I type. I definitely need to share my hellish roller coaster ride with food addictions at some point…..but I’ll save that for another time. Let’s get back to YOU….
You CAN quit sugar! The first week is the hardest. Actually, the first 3 days are the hardest. Make sure to eat as much greens as possible AND take your greens powders 1-2 times per day, to help stabilize your blood sugar and help with cravings and withdrawal.
I use BOTH of these different greens powders on a daily basis:
Eat lots of fresh fruit, veggies, plant-based protein, and brain healthy fats to transition.
Try different natural sweeteners.
According to Dr. Ross, the amino acid L-glutamine will stop those sugar cravings in their tracks. This has also helped me (not to mention the benefits of glutamine to help heal digestion, muscle recovery, and boost immune system).
YOU CAN DO IT.
I went from literally living off sugar to not eating refined AT ALL anymore…and slowly I am even moving away from natural sweeteners. I find my palate rarely craves it anymore. So it can be done!
“Twelve months. No cake, no candy, no gummi worms, no Twinkies, no crême brulée — no added sugar of any kind”…..Read about this dude’s experiences on quitting sugar for 1 year by certified Sports Nutritionist Ryan Andrews.
“After balancing arguments in favor and against, we believe that taxation would be the best approach and will provide the best outcome: reducing consumption while helping the public sector deal with the growing social and medical costs”…….read more on yesterday’s interesting article “The Power Of Sugar” HERE by JAMES HAMBLIN of The Atlantic.
**Listen to AMAZING, INFORMATIVE podcasts here on the future of our food system: click HERE.
I can teach you how to live without sugar! ALL OF MY RECIPES, COURSES, WORKSHOPS, & RETREATS are refined sugar-free………..and DELICIOUS!
*Watch another video I did in India on SUPERFOODS that I travel with for optimal digestion, blood sugar levels, & energy. Click HERE.