Irish moss is a red seaweed superfood that contains trace amounts of several minerals plus amino acids and mineral salts. It provides excellent sources of calcium, magnesium, sodium and iodine (essential to normal thyroid function). It is used to increase the metabolic rate and strengthen connective tissues, including the hair, skin and nails. Irish moss contains mucilaginous compounds that enhance the detoxifying and elimination functions of the digestive system. Other ailments Irish moss is reported to be effective against, cancer and radiation poisoning (possibly because of the iodine content of Irish moss).
Calcium phosphate, and the phosphates of potassium, sodium and magnesium are required by the cells of the brain, liver, flesh and bones. Calcium phosphate salts form the major insoluble inorganic component of the bone, so intake of this salt can aid bone integrity and keep teeth strong and healthy.
Use a spoon of Irish moss gel in your smoothies, sauces, puddings, desserts. I use it in everything for added superfood nutrition. Irish moss is truly a treasure of the sea! www.pureplanetjoy.com
- 1 cup Irish moss, soaked
- 2 cups purified water (or more to cover)
- Rinse the Irish moss in cold water, until it’s cleansed well. The raw product is filled with sand, so you need to rinse it several times before soaking
- Let the Irish moss soak in cold water for 6-12 hours or overnight (it can soak for longer if needed)
- Place the soaked Irish moss in a high-speed blender with the purified water.
- Process until it has formed into a paste – make sure it’s blended well or it will not set properly. The paste should be smooth, when rubbing it between the fingers.
- Use the gel immediately or keep in the fridge for up to a week or freeze it in ice cube trays.
(**Read about the mis-informed controversy surrounding IRISH MOSS right now: click HERE.)