Our famous rice ball recipe for our recent SOLD OUT "Taste of Thailand" GLO Community Dinner Event this week! Everyone has been asking for the delicious vegan recipe...so here it is:
GLO Vegan 'Pork' Rice Balls (makes about 50)
- 1.5 cup walnuts
- 1.5 cup green olives
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp tamari, or to taste
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric, grated (or ½ tsp powder)
- 1 tsp lemongrass powder (optional)
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 cup sesame seeds (for rolling)
- In a food processor, make the walnut meat by pulsing walnuts, olives, coconut oil, tamari, carrot, zucchini, green onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and lemongrass powder (if using) until just combined and crumbly. Add more tamari, garlic, or ginger to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine walnut meat with rice & tahini. Mix until combined.
- Place mixture in food processor in batches, pulsing until fully combined and easily able to form balls (sticking together without falling apart). Add more coconut oil and/or tahini as needed.
- Use hands to make tablespoon-sized balls, and roll balls in sesame seeds to coat.
- Dehydrate rice balls for 2 hours or place in oven on lowest temperature until slightly crunchy on the outside. (approx. 45 minutes)
- Let cool slightly, and enjoy! These rice balls go well with a chili sauce (we made fresh spicy banana lemongrass sauce!)
Tara is a brain & gut health nutritionist that specializes in using whole foods to optimize brain health. She is passionate about helping people understand the link between digestion and brain function. You can find her at GLO Selfcare Center this summer in Nicaragua and on IG at @brainfoodwithTara.